- Proven Leadership -
- Committed to Excellence -
- Responsible, Effective Decision Making -
I am excited to run for an open seat on the Dorchester District 2 School Board. As the parent of two children, one currently in the school system and another entering soon, I will work tirelessly on behalf of our students. As the husband of an educator in District 2, I will work tirelessly on behalf of our teachers. As a tax-paying citizen of our rapidly expanding county, I will work tirelessly on behalf of our community.
Why are you running for Dorchester District 2 School Board?
I want to serve our community and be a strong voice for the parents, students, and teachers of District 2. There is nothing more important to me than the future of our children’s education, and I want to have a positive, long lasting impact to ensure we are headed in the right direction. As Dorchester County and surrounding areas continue to grow, the District 2 School Board must make sound, strategic decisions for today, tomorrow, and years to come. As an experienced leader and proven decision maker, I will add immediate value to our school board.
What is your background?
- 9 years in the US Navy nuclear propulsion program
- Designation as a “US Navy Master Training Specialist”
- Vice President – Operations, Automated Trading Desk, A Citigroup Company
- Graduate – Leadership Dorchester Class of 2013
- Member – DD2 Edge Academy Advisory Board (Business, Finance, Math)
- Co-chair – DD2 Bond Referendum Oversight Committee (May 2013 – July 2014)
- The Charleston Education Foundation – Principal for a Day, 2012/2013
- Long standing member – Flowertown Elementary PTA
- SC Charter Member – Citigroup Military/Veterans Network
- FINRA Series 7 General Securities Representative
- Instructor – Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Instructor – American Red Cross
What is your education?
- Successful product of a large, expanding public school system
- Bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Engineering Technology
- Master of Business Administration, Executive Leadership
- Villanova University – Six Sigma quality assurance certification
- Graduate – US Navy Leadership Training Program
What Honors or Awards have you been given?
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) Outstanding Adult Student – 2014
- The Arnold Fletcher Award for Outstanding Adult Students – Thomas Edison State College
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal – 2 Citations
- Meritorious Unit Commendation – USS Harry S Truman
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
What are your educational beliefs?
First and foremost I believe every child is entitled to a non-biased, world-class public education. The students of today are the future of our businesses, our community, and our nation. We have to provide the resources, funding, and tools necessary for our schools to produce the successful life-long learners of tomorrow. I will join the Dorchester District 2 school board with the determination and resolve necessary to make sure our schools and students are some of the best and brightest in the country.
Committed to Excellence. Justin Farnsworth for School Board.